Dengue is a vector-borne disease transmitted by an infected female mosquito of the Aedes aegypti species that causes high fever. These mosquitoes are different from normal mosquito with white bands present on their legs. It often bites during the day and after the infected mosquito bites a human, the symptoms start developing in the body within 3-14 days. It has been seen that dengue infects children more.
Symptoms of Dengue Fever:
1. High fever
4. Muscle and joint pain
5. Loss of appetite
Diagnosis and Treatment:
- Complete blood count test done which gives information about platelets status, Dengue NS1 antigen, nucleic acid detection by PCR etc…
- Though there are no antiviral medicines to treat dengue fever, early diagnosis and clinical treatment can help the patients.
- Those suffering from dengue are advised to keep themselves hydrated.
Tips to prevent Dengue:
- Avoid water stagnation in coolers, open areas, containers etc.
- People are advised to wear full sleeves clothes to prevent the transmission in rainy season.
- Use a mosquito net or mosquito repellent while sleeping during the day.
- Use aerosol during the day to prevent from mosquito bites.