It is an examination room or a diagnostic lab where several types of tests and procedures like angiogram, angioplasty, implantation of pacemakers, etc. are performed to examine blood vessels, diagnose and treat blood vessel problems and other cardiovascular diseases.
Following scope of services are done:
- Coronary Angiography and Angioplasty (PTCA) – Coronary angiography is a procedure that uses a special dye and x-rays to see the blood flow through the arteries into the heart. ItÂ is often done along withÂ the cardiac catheterization. The main purpose of coronary angiography is to check the plaque deposition within the arteries (Atherosclerosis).
Coronary angioplasty is a non-surgical procedure using a catheter with a tiny balloon at its tip to stretch open a narrowed or blocked coronary artery of the heart. Once the catheter is in place, the balloon is inflated at the narrowed part of the coronary artery and presses the plaque or blood clot against the sides of the artery to improve the blood flow.
- Renal Angiography and Angioplasty – Renal angiography is a procedure that uses a special dye and x-rays to see the blood flow through the blood vessels into the kidneys. The main purpose of renal angiography is to check the plaque deposition within the blood vessels (Atherosclerosis).
Renal angioplasty is a non-surgical procedure using a catheter with a tiny balloon at its tip to stretch open a narrowed or blocked blood vessel. Once the catheter is in place, the balloon is inflated at the narrowed part of the renal artery and presses the plaque or blood clot against the sides of the blood vessel to improve the blood flow.
- Balloon Valvotomy – (Mitral/Pulmonary) – It is a surgical procedure to open the stenotic or stiffed (due to calcium built up) heart valve. The procedure is same as that of angioplasty and is done with the help of a balloon catheter inside the valve.
- Implantation of Temporary Pacemaker and Permanent Pacemaker – A pacemaker helps control the heartâ€™s pumping speed. Its function is similar to the natural pacemaker (SA Node) present in the heart. If the heart beats too slowly, it produces electrical impulse to your heart to regulate the speed and keeps the pulse at a minimum set rate. Pacemaker is inserted through a small incision below the collar bone. The doctor inserts the wires through a blood vessel near the collar bone and threads them through to the heart.Depending upon the requirement of the patient, the doctor decides the implantation of a temporary or a permanent pacemaker
- Cardiac Implantable Electronic Devices (CIED) – Devices such as Implantable Cardioverter Defibrillators (ICDs), cardiac resynchronization therapy (CRT) devices for the treatment of bradyarrhythmia, tachyarrhythmia management, and for systolic dysfunction with conduction delays.
- Device/Coil closure of congenital heart disease(VSD, ASD, PDA-Â Adult/Pediatric) – procedures performed for the treatment of heart hole.
- Peripheral Angiography and Angioplasty – It is same as that of coronary angiography and coronary angioplasty but these procedures are performed for the narrow or blocked areas in one or more of the arteries that supply blood to the legs, feet, arms and hands.
- Endovascular Repair – Endovascular repair is a type of treatment for an abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA). An AAA is a bulge in the wall of the large artery (aorta) below the heart. The bulge is caused by a weak section in the artery wall which creates a risk of tearing. During the procedure, the weak section of the aorta is treated to prevent it from tearing.
- Pericardiocentesis – Pericardiocentesis or Pericardial Tap is a medical procedure done to remove the fluid accumulated in the sac around the Pericardium in the heart using a small needle and a catheter to drain out the excess fluid. The fluid built up can cause shortness of breath, chest pain and pericardial effusion which can become life threatening to the patient.
- Embolisation of Bleeding Vessels – It is a medical procedure that uses particles such as tiny gelatin sponges or beads to block a blood vessel or vascular channel in order to stop bleeding or to block the flow of blood to a tumor or abnormal area of tissue. This is mainly done to treat some types of liver cancer, kidney cancer, and neuroendocrine tumors.
- Snrt (Sinus Node Rentrant Tachycardia) – SNRT is an uncommon form of Supraventricular Tachycardia (SVT) which are rapid heart arrhythmias originating in the atria of the heart. Ablation therapy is done for the treatment of such arrhythmias.
This specialty mediates the surgical treatment of organs inside the thoracic cavityÂ â€” generally the treatment of heart conditions, lungs and other pleural or mediastina structures. The following are the scope of services offered in this hospital:
- Device/coil closure of congenital heart disease(VSD, ASD, PDA-adult/pediatric) – To treat the abnormalities present in the heart- repair, device replacement and surgeries are performed.
- Minimally Invasive Bypass-Surgery – Minimally Invasive Coronary Surgery (MICS) is a more technically advanced surgical procedure where a much smaller cut of 4 inch size is done below the left nipple and no bones are cut. The Sternum is kept intact in this procedure and the complete operation is done through the side of the chest wall. It is considered to be very safe, minimal blood loss and healing is very rapid for around 10 days. Success rate of this procedure is very high and it is ideal for diabetic and old aged people. Minimal chances of pre-operation infection as the entire Operation Theatres in B.P. Poddar Hospital are made with stainless steel and installed with laminar air flow chambers which prevents the inhabitation of microorganisms and reduces the chance of infections during the operation. This procedure doesnâ€™t require the heart to be stopped completely, the patient is given some medicines to slow down the heart beat and at the same time the heart is attached to a device to stabilize it. Post-operative pain is reduced in patients and leaves a very negligible scar on the chest which makes it difficult to tell whether a heart surgery has been performed.
It focuses on treating injuries and diseases of the skeletal-system and its interconnecting parts- bones, muscles, joints, tendons, ligaments etc. Some of these conditions are present at birth, while others may develop as a result of injury or age-related wear and tear. At B.P. Poddar Hospital, orthopedists along with the team of physician assistants, nurse practitioners and occupational or physical therapists together work hand in hands to help diagnose, treat, and cure the people. List of surgeries performed here are:
- Knee Replacement – Minimally Invasive Total Knee Replacement is a 4th Generation Orthopilot Navigation System- Computer Assisted procedure in which titanium components are used for faster recovery, lower risk of infection, minimal blood loss. Surgery conducted by Replacement Specialists at B.P. Poddar Hospital ensures precision and accuracy in surgery.
- ACL Reconstruction Surgery – ACL reconstruction is a common but major surgery with risks to replace a torn anterior cruciate ligament (ACL)Â â€” a major ligament in the knee. ACL injuries most commonly occur during sports that involve sudden stops and changes in the direction â€” such as soccer, football, basketball etc.
- Shoulder Replacement – Shoulder replacementÂ or arthroplasty removes the damaged areas of bone and replaces them with parts made of metal and plastic (prosthetics). The treatment options are either replacement of just the head of the humerus bone (ball), or replacement of both the ball and the socket (glenoid).
- Hip Replacement – Minimally Invasive Hip Replacement Surgery in B.P. Poddar Hospital conducted by Replacement Specialists ensures precision and accuracy. It provides faster recovery, lower risk of infection, minimal blood loss and reduced post-operation pain.
- Knee Arthroscopy – Knee arthroscopy is a minimally invasive surgical procedure which is done to diagnose and treat a range of knee injuries by making a small incision and then a long, thin tool with a camera is inserted on the end. The camera shows images of the inside of the knee which helps the doctor to make a diagnosis of the injury.
- Shoulder Arthroscopy – Shoulder arthroscopy is a minimally invasive surgical procedure which is done to diagnose and treat a range of shoulder injuries by making a small incision and then a long, thin tool with a camera is inserted on the end. The camera shows images of the inside of the shoulder which helps the doctor to make a diagnosis of the injury.
- ORIF – Open reduction internal fixation (ORIF) is an urgent surgery to fix severely broken bones and used for seriousÂ fracturesÂ that canâ€™t be treated with a cast or splint. These injuries are usually fractures that are displaced, unstable, or those that involve the joint. It can be done by two ways- â€œOpen reductionâ€ by making an incision to re-align the bone and â€œInternal fixationâ€ by holding the bones together with hardware like metal pins, plates, rods, or screws. This surgery is done when there are breaks in multiple places, the bones moves out of position or sticks out through the skin. ORIF may also help if the bone was previously re-aligned without an incision but didnâ€™t heal properly. The surgery helps to reduce pain and restores mobility by helping the bone heal in the right position.
- Joint Fusion – Joint fusion surgery (also called â€œarthrodesisâ€) is a procedure that fuses, or â€œweldsâ€ together the two bones that make up the aching joint. It causes the bones to become one solid bone and helps to lessen the pain. It also makes the joint more stable and helps to bear more weight on it.
- Trigger Finger Release – Trigger finger also called â€œstenosing tenosynovitisâ€ is a condition that causes pain, stiffness, and a sensation of locking or catching while bending and straightening the finger. The ring finger and thumb are the most affected by trigger finger, but can occur in the other fingers as well. When the thumb is involved, the condition is called â€œtrigger thumb.â€ The surgical procedure for trigger finger is called â€œtenolysisâ€ or â€œtrigger finger release.â€The goal of the Trigger Finger Release is to release the A1 pulley that is blocking tendon movement so the flexor tendon can glide more easily through the tendon sheath. Typically, the procedure is done in an outpatient setting with an injection of local anesthesia to numb the area for surgery.
An effective treatment for fractures, deformities or instability in the spine. Spinal fusion is recommended to treat the herniated disks in the spinal cord. The following procedures are performed in this hospital:
- Anterior Cervical Foraminotomy – It is a surgical method intended to preserve the functional motion of the cervical spine while removing the underlying pathology. Fusion-related problems such as graft site complications and morbidity of the adjacent segment are treated with this method.
- Open ThoracicÂ Microdiscectomy – Minimally invasive lateral thoracic discectomy (or mini-open lateral thoracic discectomy) at B.P. Poddar Hospital isÂ a surgical procedure in which an intervertebral disc is surgically removed from the thoracic region of the spinal column, or the mid-back.
- Lumbar Spine Treatments including Percutaneous Endoscopic Lumbar Discectomy – Percutaneous endoscopic lumbar discectomy (PELD) is a new technique for the decompression of the lumbar disc space and removal of nucleus pulpous via a postero-lateral approach.
- Posterior Lumbar Inter-body Fusion – PLIF (Posterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion) is a surgery designed to fuse painful vertebral segments in order to stop the painful motion. The total surgery time is approximately 2- 5 hours depending upon the number of spinal levels involved.
- Anterior Lumbar Inter-body Fusion – ALIF (Anterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion) surgery isa spinal operation designed to stabilize a painful motion segment in the lower back, commonly caused by lumbar degenerative disc disease or spondylolisthesis where the spine is approached from the front rather than from the back. It is performed through the abdomen usually with the assistance of a surgeon to move the major blood vessels out and the disc is removed to relieve the pressure on the nerves.
The Neurosurgical Department at the B P Poddar Hospital has a team of highly qualified neurosurgeons who are devoted, educated, and specialized in different forms of neurosurgeries for brain, spinal cord, spinal column and peripheral nerves within the body. Dependent upon the nature of the injury or disease, the following procedures are done:
- Brain Tumor Surgery – Brain tumor surgery is done for the removal of tumor and some of the healthy surrounding tissues during the procedure to improve the neurological symptoms, genetic analysis and to provide the tissues for further diagnosis and investigation of the tumor condition. Craniotomy is performed with the help of cortical mapping, enhanced imaging and using fluorescent dyes.
- Burr hole Surgery – It is a type of brain surgery that is often done for mild to severe head injuries by drilling a small hole in the skull to drain out the blood from the brain. This prevents the damage and death of the brain tissues by lowering down the pressure and compression imposed upon the brain tissues.
- Craniotomy and Cranioplasty – Craniotomy is a surgical procedure in which a bone flap is temporarily removed from the skull to access the brain for the removal of brain tumors or any abnormal brain tissue.
Cranioplasty is a surgical procedure for the repair of cranial defects caused by previous accidents or operations such as decompression craniotomy. It is done by filling the defective part with a synthetic material or a bone piece from the patient.
- Surgery of Brain Aneurysm – Brain aneurysm occurs when the wall of a blood vessel becomes thin and bulges or balloons out. Many aneurysms remain undetected because the person may not experience any symptoms until they rupture.Â Aneurysms could lead toÂ strokeÂ or brain damage. Brain aneurysm repair is a surgical procedure done to treat a bulging blood vessel in the brain which is at the risk of rupturing or tearing open.
This surgical specialty focuses on treatment of abnormalities present in the esophagus, stomach, small intestine, large intestine, liver, pancreas, gallbladder, appendix and bile ducts, and often the thyroid gland. Some of the common surgeries are performed for appendix removal, hernia, gall bladder operation and for piles patients.
It focuses on two different aspects of the female reproductive system. (i) ObstetricsÂ deals with the care of the pregnant women, the unborn baby, labor and delivery and the immediate period following childbirth to ensure that the mother and the child get the best prenatal care post-delivery without any complications.
(ii) Gynecology deals with any disease concerning the reproductive organs- uterus, fallopian tubes, cervix, ovaries and vagina. A gynecologist may also treat the related problems in the bowel, bladder and urinary system since these are closely related to the female reproductive organs. The following scope of services are offered here:
- Normal and Caesarean Deliveries – A cesarean delivery or C-section is a surgical procedure done to deliver a baby when a vaginal or normal delivery cannot be done safely and can happen quickly based on the emergency situation.
- Contraceptive Guidance – There are various elements which are considered by women, men, or couples at any given point in their lifetimes while choosing the appropriate contraceptive method. These elements are- safety, effectiveness, availability (including accessibility and affordability), and acceptability. It also provides dual protection from the risks of HIV and other STDs such as chlamydial infection, gonococcal infection, and trichomoniasis. Although hormonal contraceptives and IUDs are highly effective at preventing pregnancy but do not protect against STDs. Consistent and correct use of the male latex condom reduces the risk for HIV infection and other STDs.
- Hysteroscopy for Endometrial Pathology – The main objective of hysteroscopy is to evaluate the uterine cavity in women presenting with postmenopausal bleeding, thick endometrial mucosa, endometrial hyperplasia and carcinoma. Hysteroscopy is used as the first line diagnostic tool for evaluating the benign endometrial lesions, such as endometrial polyp and sub- mucosal myoma.
- Diagnostic and Therapeutic Laparoscopy – Diagnostic laparoscopy is a minimally invasive procedure that helps the doctors to directly view the internal parts of the abdomen or pelvis which helps in the diagnosis of adhesions, chronic appendicitis and hernias.
- Pap Smear and Colposcopy for Cervical Cancer Screening – Pap smear test is done in women to screen for cervical cancer. In this test, cells from the cervix are examined under a microscope to check for disease or other problems. Colposcopy is the examination of the cervix, vagina and in some instances the vulva with the colposcope after the application of 3-5% acetic solution for obtaining the directed biopsies of all the suspected lesions.
- High risk Pregnancies – High risk pregnancy is the one which is complicated by the factors that adversely affects the pregnancy outcome- maternal, perinatal or both. These pregnancies require close monitoring and periodic visits to the gynecologists.
These are performed on the head or neck area to treat the problems of the ears, nose, or throat. In B.P. Poddar Hospital, the trained doctors are specialized to perform the following procedures:
- Microsurgery of the ear – Various microsurgeries of the ear are performed such as â€“ reconstruction of the ear drum, small bones in the middle ear, removal of fluids in the middle ear etc.
- Treatment for sinus problems (nose blocks/headache), surgical/balloon sinuplasty – Balloon sinuplasty is a type of endoscopic nasal surgery which uses a small balloon catheter that inflates to drain out the large nasal sinuses. This minimally invasive technique is usedÂ for the treatment of chronic or recurrent sinusitis when medical therapy has not provided adequate relief.
- Fiber Optic Laryngoscop – It is a diagnostic procedure that uses a thin tube with a light source and camera attached at its tip for the examination of throat. The procedure is performed to examine the back of the throat and vocal cords.
This surgical specialty mediates the surgical procedures for treatment of various conditions related to male and female reproductive and urinary organs such as the removal of kidney stones and prostate gland. Endourology involves the use of small fiber optic scopes which can be passed through the urethra to visualize the body cavities internally, the lining of the urinary tract from kidney to the bladder. This provides a variety of diagnostic and corrective procedures that are less invasive than conventional procedures.
It is done for the prevention and treatment of cancer. Along with the results of other laboratory tests, the doctor decides the kind of treatment the patient should receive. It is done after locating the cancerous tumor, finding its spread, and diagnosing cancer. Staging Surgery is used to find out the size of the tumour and its spread.Â Surgery helps in removing the tumor and has been considered as an effective way to treat the benign type of cancer. Surgeries are also performed to restore bodyâ€™s appearance and relieve the side effects caused by the disease or its treatment.